Bachelor of Early Childhood Education & Care TAFE NSW
Working with children can be one of life’s most rewarding experiences. Early Childhood Educators care for the social, emotional, physical and educational needs of babies, toddlers and preschool aged children in a range of care settings throughout Australia. Educators have a profound influence on a child’s lifelong development and wellbeing.
Early childhood education is a large and growing sector; the Australian Government projects the industry will require an additional 184,000 trained educators in the next five years.
This demand provides opportunities for skilled migration pathways for overseas students and excellent career prospects for graduates.
Work in early childhood education is varied and enriching. Educators support children’s development of language, complex emotions, cognitive abilities, social skills, and literacy; helping to build the foundations for their future lives.
TAFE provides real-world degrees designed and delivered in consultation with industry experts. TAFE qualifications provide a powerful pathway into the workforce with strong employment prospects. Courses focus on practical, industry-based skills with small, student-focused classes, internships and work experience opportunities and friendly, caring staff.
Bachelor of Early Childhood Education & Care (birth-5)
Duration: 4 years
This professional degree prepares graduates for teaching in early childhood services, working in a range of settings including long day care, preschool, integrated child and family services and early intervention services. The degree is an industry-recognised qualification that allows you to work as an early childhood teacher in Australia. Students receive multiple VET qualifications during the degree including a Certificate III (25272) and a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (25281). Recognition for prior qualifications and study may be granted, reducing the time required to receive a bachelor degree.
Students develop skills and knowledge in the areas of:
- Early childhood theory
- Pedagogy and approaches
- Professional practice and leadership
- Curriculum content development and design
- Care and wellbeing of the child within a social context and society and culture
Students complete eight separate professional experience placements throughout the program in addition to core units of study.
- Work placements give students the chance to apply what they have learned in real workplace settings
- There is a total of 80 days of professional placements in the four-year degree
- This work experience meets the requirement to be qualified as an early childhood teacher in NSW
- TAFE NSW organises each work placement, not the student; child care providers are only quality assured organisations
- Work experience is unpaid. Students are not ‘workers’ they are ‘students’ who are learning
- TAFE NSW insurance covers students for any accidents that might occur on the work placement. This would not be the case if students were paid
- The Bachelor of Early childhood Education and Care provides strong career opportunities in long day-care, preschool, integrated child and family services, and early intervention services.
- Teacher or Director at Long Day Care or Preschool
- Employed in Integrated Child and Family Services
- Employed in Early Intervention Services
- Employed in Children’s Services Directorate
- Employed in Children’s Services Quality Assurance Programs
- Employed in Adult Education and Children’s Services Courses
Completion of this bachelor degree entitles students to a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) - Post-Study Work stream.
This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. It lets you live, work and study in Australia, temporarily.
- You can work in Australia
- You can bring your family with you
- This visa provides the platform for Permanent Residency opportunities
- The duration is usually between 2 and 4 years, depending on your qualification.
Enrol in a Bachelor of Early childhood Education and Care at TAFE NSW today!
Make your dream of a career in Australia a reality.